Yes, it’s true! You’ve all (mostly) been waiting patiently and now the Pwn Pad 2014 community edition is available for download. You can find it here on our Downloads page.
You can download the installation instructions in PDF form or follow them here:
What you’ll need:
- A computer running a Linuxbased operating system (Ubuntu 12.04 recommended)
NOTE: Using a virtual machine is not recommended due to Nexus 7 USB host mode compatibility limitations.
- The following Nexus 7 tablet model:
2013 edition Nexus 7 tablet (32GB, WiFi + LTE Mobile data, Model K009)
This can be purchased directly from Google Play:
- A microUSB OTG to USB 2.0 adapter
(We recommend: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0PG06U1118)
- A TPLink TLWN722N USB adapter (for 802.11 wireless pentesting)
- (Optional) A SENA UD100 industrial Bluetooth USB adapter (for Bluetooth pentesting)
- (Optional) A USBtoEthernet adapter (for pentesting wired networks)
- (Optional) Velcro for attaching accessories to the back of the Nexus 7
Download the Installation Package
If you haven’t done so already, the Pwn Pad 2014 installation package can be downloaded from here:
Extract the package & run the installer script
Note: All below instructions assume you’re using a Debian Linuxbased host computer (Ubuntu 12.04 recommended). Using
a virtual machine is not recommended due to Nexus 7 USB host mode compatibility limitations.
- Install the “adb” and “fastboot” packages onto your Linux host computer:
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install android-tools-adb android-fastboot-tools
- Untar the Pwn Pad 2014 installation package:
$ tar xvf pwnpad-2014_image.tar.xz
$ cd pwnie_img/
$ chmod +x imagev2.sh
- Attach the Nexus 7 to your Linux host computer with the stock Nexus 7 microUSB cable. Do NOT use any USB extension cables, USB hubs, or any additional adapters.
- Hold the Nexus 7 power and volumedown buttons simultaneously to boot into Fastboot mode.
- From your Linux host computer, run the following command to initialize the adb server:
$ sudo adb start-server
- Run the Pwn Pad image installation script:
$ sudo ./imagev2.sh
- Follow the onscreen stepbystep instructions from the script.
Community Edition Support
- Pwn Pad user manual: http://store.pwnieexpress.com/support/product-documentation/
- Pwnie Express support portal: http://store.pwnieexpress.com/support/